Friday, February 19, 2010

First Week Of Moto-Commuting

I successfully finished my first week of motorcycle commuting. By successful I only mean that I'm still alive. I still have plenty of skills to work on. My counter-steering is for crap. I need to trust my bike more and remember that it wants to stay up. I'm still too hesitant in these situations, and while I need to continue to be very cautious, hesitation can be just as dangerous as recklessness.

This weekend I'm driving down to Manhattan Beach to pick up some Norman Hyde Toga silencers that I found on Craigslist. I needed to go back to stock headers because those Bubs the previous owner installed were OBSCENELY loud, and that's not my style. I don't want to be "that guy" who sets off car alarms, scares children and terrorizes my neighbors. I know a lot of motorcyclists are into that and would call me a ll sorts of names for feeling this way, but I could care less. I think they have decided to make a selfish choice to be loud at the expense of everyone else, because they think it's cool. I think that's retarded.

That being said, the stock silencers that came with the stock headers make my bike sound like a sewing machine, and I'd like to spice things up without getting too ridiculous. It sounds like the Togas will do that for me. Unfortunately, it looks like intermittent rain for the next week, so I'll have to try the install and testing whenever I can find some dry roads. I don't know if I'm ready to tackle the rain just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment